History of NPHS
Philadelphia Health System (NPHS) was incorporated in August
of 1990 as a Pennsylvania non-profit corporation to own and operate
Girard Medical Center (GMC) and St. Josephs Hospital (SJH)
collectively (the Hospitals) after both filed plans of
reorganization in their respective Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases.
The Hospitals have a long history of service to
one of the oldest neighborhoods in the City of Philadelphia. Founded
in 1848, St. Joseph's Hospital is one of the oldest hospitals in the
City of Philadelphia (the City). Girard Medical Center traces
its roots to 1927, when it opened on its current site.
The two hospitals are located eight city blocks apart in
lower North Central Philadelphia, an area geographically close to
downtown Philadelphia, but very distant in terms of health care
access, economic status and social and cultural makeup.
North Philadelphia is an area which suffers from virtually
all of the burdens of economic deprivation and the Hospitals remain
among the few institutional pillars which have remained committed to
the community. The
Hospitals developed on separate independent paths, with distinct
medical staffs, governance and management until their paths
converged together during the 1980's.
In the early 1980's, the Hospitals conducted
total facility replacements, financed by the issuance of bonds.
In 1982, SJH opened a new 146-bed hospital to replace the
original facility that had been significantly damaged in a severe
fire. In that same year of 1982, GMC (known as Giuffre Medical Center until 1989) opened two new
hospital buildings which housed 234 beds replacing the original 1927